Thursday 9 May 2013

Ibusuki, Kagoshima...Warm memories

Ibusuki, Kagoshima Prefecture, Kyushu 
At Aki sans home and helping out in his kindergarten
20th April to 27th April


Coming to Ibusuki, this quiet and densely populated town, I finally met Aki-san. Pat has sent me a picture of him before I left Singapore. Thanks to her, I have this wonderful experience of great hosting from Aki-san and his family in Japan. He reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki, with his beard and stocky figure.

In fact, Aki-san himself is comical, speaks in a low husky tone, child-like at times. He speaks English quite well. He admires the work of Hayao Miyazaki too, seeing him as a genius. It does not take long to see that when I found a stone figurine of TOTORO near the entrance to his house. There is also a clock in the nursery room in his kindergarten which plays the music from TOTORO every hour.

Aki-san also loves owls. There is a large collection of owl figurines, paintings and carvings in his home. Ryoko-san his wife is chatty and warm. She speaks less English but somehow, we just manage to communicate with each other. To me, they are like my parents during my one week stay with them. I ask of him to let me help in his kindergarten, which is in his home compound too. 

It is a very valuable experience for me, to be interacting with the children in the kindergarten. They are of 3 years to 5 years old. Every day, they are excited to see me, coming to me and converse with me in Japanese. I will listen, nod my head though I do not understand what they say most of the time. Yet, they never stop coming to me. How pure and genuine children can be. Language is no barrier at all for me to connect with them, to laugh with them and to teach them some art activities.

There is a very strong emphasis on independence in the children here. Despite their tender age, every child will fold their own coat, unpack and pack their own bags, carry the tables and chairs together with each other, clear the dishes after lunch... I see teachers giving them lots of time to finish a task. The 3 year olds may have some difficulty in turning their coat properly after removing them, then folding them and placing them in their personal cubby holes, folding their mattresses and blankets, carrying them and keeping them. I am very impressed with how they managed on their own, with their tiny physique, folding a large blanket, carrying the mattress independently. The teachers never did everything for them. Instead, they will guide them, encourage them and give them time... time to make mistakes, time to finally get it right. It goes for every daily skills they acquire here. Teachers break each task into steps and simple words to help them remember.

The children has lots of play and interaction time with each other. I see team work in them when they build houses with large heavy plastic planks, keeping all toys and blocks when time is up, without fail. Naturally, there will be squabbles at times with some students. Sometimes, a crying child will come to me and started blabbering in Japanese about his or her peer who has been too rough, or not sharing the toy. However, when asked to apologise, both parties forgive each other quickly and played together again.

Each day, I start at the same time as the teachers, from 8 am to 6pm, have lunch with the children and teachers, a short break during the afternoon nap time as half of the children will stay back till 5pm. It is quite tiring but the childrens laughter and innocence just keep me going.

In Singapore, there is just too much emphasis on academic, even in most kindergartens. I also see that we do not give children enough time to do things by themselves, time to let them share their toys, time to make mistakes, to mess up and opportunity to learn to make it right. We are always rushing, rushing and end up doing most of the task for them, or expecting them to learn too quick. Children, when given time, will hand over the toy to their sibling or peer by themselves, willingly. That is also what my sister, Angelia allows for her girls.

The five days in the kindergarten have given me new perspectives...

On the fifth day, Aki-san had a little party in a traditional Japanese restaurant for all the staff, some parents and the leaders of the kindergarten. I really enjoy the evening, chatting with them with my hefty Japanese. The 3 main teachers I got to help in the 3 main classes have been really helpful towards me. I learn so much from them and they are very professional in their teaching.

On Saturday, Aki-san and Ryoko-san brought me sightseeing in Ibusuki, then driving all the way to Kagoshima in the late afternoon, had dinner together in the shopping mall in Kagoshima Eki before I took the overnight bus to Hiroshima. They really play the role of hosts so well, often asking if everything is ok with me, making sure I am happy.

Aki-san loves the beach and enjoys drinking shou-chu or rice wine. Ryoko san loves flowers and plants, visiting temples and cooking. Ryoko san loves to talk and Aki-san will always listens and acknowledges whatever she says. I hear them teasing each other quite often. They are a very cute couple in their early 70s. Aki-san asks me to bring my mother to his house when I come back to Japan again. Very hospitable and generous couple.

They also encourage me to reconsider going to China because of the flu epidemic.
Before we part, I assure them I will check on the situation as I travel in Japan. They ask of me to email them whenever I reach another destination. They are both very warm, funny and kind. After dinner, walking towards the parking lot, my eyes are a little teary. Akisan and Ryoko san gave me warm hugs before we parted. They are the only Japanese I know so far who shows their affection in this way.

Thank you Aki-san and Ryoko-san, for showering me with so much affection and care.
We will meet again...

I arrive in Aki-sans house on a Saturday. There were some children there as their parents were working. The 3 main classes beside the nursery are the 3, 4 and 5 year olds. Akira sensei and some of the children.




Aki-san with his shou-chyu.. Aki-san and Ryoko san. They and his son's family were really excitied when I gave them a red batik printed table cloth, each taking turn to wear as scarf or wraps.

The postcard with Marina Bay Sands. Aki-san shared he wants to go stay in Marina Bay Sands when he goes to Singapore again just before I pass him this postcard. Most Japanese I spoke to talks about wanting to stay in Marina Bay Sands.



 

Aki-san"s love of owls... every corner in his house compound, you can spot an owl.



The kindergarten entrance... see the Merlion statue on the right... it is a gift from their close Singaporean friend, Chiang Meng.


Art activities with the children. Thanks to the teachers support to translate my mostly English instructions. Also to my brother, Eng, who shares with me ideas to do with the children. The 5 years old...

They are 4 years old...


Making Koinomori, for the boys day

3 year old Nono-chan. The tiniest in class but a fiesty streak of independence.

Oito-kun. He steals my heart... stays by my side most of the time during morning play time.

The 3 year olds made whale origami and earth collage for Earth Day.

line-up of toothbrushes

I can do it!

At the party, with some of the teachers and parents.

With Akina sensei and Mayuko sensei

With Kensei-kun, their 5 year old grandson.


At the coast in Ibusuki...


The face towel from Ryoko-san. I used it immediately upon reaching Setsukei-en.


Aki-san and Ryoko-san, having dinner before we parted. I will remember this shot... Arigatou gozaimasu! Matta ne!








No comments:

Post a Comment