Tuesday 2 July 2013

Soulful People in Asaba Art Square

ASABA ART SQUARE (Part 2)
WWOOF Period: 25th May - 6 June

 
Whenever I walked in the neighbourhood, to the nearest convenient store, to the ancient temple just a few minutes away from Asaba Art Square, to the train station, to the park during my rest time, I felt like I am living in Japan. Doing the things the locals do. Going back 'home' again after a leisure walk or getting some stuff from the convenience store. I truly relish these moments.

I am so fortunate to know Asaba-sensei and Kuma-san in Asaba Art Square.
Both are like bohemians living an alternative lifestyle in the middle of the suburbs in Kanazawa Bunko. Creating a lively artistic zeal and appreciation of organic food in the area.

Like Kei-san and Setsu-san in Setsukei-en, Asaba-sensei and Kuma-san believes everything in our life happens because of 'en', 缘. That is fate which according to Buddhist philosophy and belief, is a cause from our past lifes.
The people we met out of the millions, breif encounters or a deep one... we may have known each other in our past lifes.

Asaba-sensei inspires me with the respect she has for the children and the deep understanding of children's thinking and behaviour. There are times when both of us have our daily dinner in her house, sometimes in silence, watching tv programmes and commenting on the topic. There will be times when she's lively and chatted more. However, I have this deep respect for her.

Asaba-sensei, painint part of a Nepalese Mandala art in the adult art lesson with Depak-san, the Nepalese Mandala artist.

She has a very deep personal connection with the Hopi tribe, a federally recognised Native Americans in Arizona. When she was studying Art in Arizona as a young woman, she was introduced to the tribe. She has strong friendships with the tribe and often invites them to Asaba Art Square during the yearly Kanazawa Bunko/Yokohama Art Festival in Septemer.


Collections of art work by the Native Americans in Asaba-sensei's house and cafe

Asaba sensei once asked me if we use the brush in writing Chinese characters in school. I explained to her that Chinese is a language that the younger generations find much struggle in. Children born in the 80s onwards have educated English-speaking parents and most do not use our mother tongue daily. Children has phobia towards the language. Writing in brushes has grudually stopped since my time as a child in the 70s as English was becoming the first language in Singapore schools then.

She signed and shared that's when a culture will start loosing its roots and depth when language is lost. She compares it to the Native Americans in the States where the government tries to replace their native tribal language with English. The Hopi tribe is one tribe which stands resiliently against that as they are very proud of their culture and roots.

Everyday, I saw Asaba-sensei waking up real early in the morning at 5am, cycling to the beach or the neighbourhood, preparing breakfast, learning Spanish, meeting with artists and individuals to discuss on the coming Art Festival in Kanazawa Bunko and Yokohama, exuding an air of leadership. Afternoons are where I see her joyful and patient with the children during her lessons. She is always on the go and full of energy. I salute her for that zeal and patience, teaching children for the past 45 years. She plans to write a book about her life and perspective on working with children in 5 years time. It is like a 50th anniversary of her teaching life.

Asaba-sensei seems like a mother and mentor to Kuma-san to me. Kuma-san is younger and hippie but I respect her for maturity and wisdom. Having conversations with her, I felt like I learn much from her. Her openess in listening and being objective at some times, rather than judgemental. She will also do her best to take care of WWOOFers' needs. Beneath her aloof and cold exterior, she is really a warm-hearted and caring woman with deep convictions. She studied art in England and after working with Asaba-sensei for a few years, she manages the cafe and prepares organic dishes for the customers. She reminds me that anyone can be an artist. I need not be neccessarily taking up degrees in art to know how to paint or do art. She realised that when learning under Asaba-sensei.

While Asaba-sensei has deep connections with the Hopi tribe, Kuma-san found deep connections with the Tibetians. She is involved in organising and bringing Tibetians artists to Asaba Art Square for sharing and performances. Through that, she has build friendships with them.

 
Kuma-san, a deep soul and very individualistic, quite similar to Asaba-sensei. I cherish all the conversations we share. Beneath her aloof facade, she is really a warm-hearted and caring lady. I feel very comfortable talking and sharing with her and have much respect for her knowledge and wisdom.
 
Kuma-san cooks really well and fast... her organice recipie and dishes for the customers in the cafe

During my last week WWOOFing at Asaba Art Square, two former WWOOFers contacted them at the same time, expressing their interest to return for a short stay before leaving Japan. Asling, from England WWOOFed here a about 2 months ago before moving on to WWOOF in 2 different organic farms. She is only 23 years old, very easy going and to talk with.

Ana, from Finland, WWOOFed here 3 years ago and returned to Japan this year, to go through the traditional Japanese Buddhist prigrimege walking from temples to temples. I have heard Kuma-san shared about Ana before. 3 years ago, Ana had spent one year travelling, WWOOFing mainly in different countries. That was when she also experienced WWOOFing in Japan. She is an editor with a Finnish publishing firm. This year, she took a break to do this prigrimege and will be writing her experience and reflections for her company. She spent 43 days, walking from one temple to another, in silence or occassionally with some Japanese who are on the same spritual journey.

Kuma-san brought the 3 of us to a very cosy cafe just a short walking distance away from Asaba Art Square. It is a place where the owner will hold ceramic workshops too. It was a lazy afternoon with the three ladies. Kuma-san shares a lot about the Japanese politics, her belief in 'en' 缘 and about their culture.

Kuma-san, brought Ana (back facing), Asling and myself to this quiet cosy cafe near Asaba Art Square... we have much sharing of thoughts and ideas here.

Kuma-san spoke openly about her disappointment in the Japanese government and her stand against use of nuclear power in Japan.Nuclear energy has been a national strategic priority since 1973.  Japan uses nuclear power as part of a way to generate electricity. Most Japanese are displeased with how the government has handled the Fukushima nuclear accident . The governement has been shifting the responsiblity to the nuclear reactor company and trying to fade itself from the picture. Now, Japan is planning to export its nuclear energy technology and expertise to  Brazil and some Eastern European countries. Prime Minister Abe is of the view that Japan should promote better nuclear safety by sharing the lessons it had learned from the Fukushima accident. Most Japanese oppose to the government's plan.

I have been asked when in Taiwan, and also in Japan, how does Singapore generate electricity. I have never been asked about that, neither do most Singaporeans think about it. All I can explain is that we do not use nuclear energy to generate electricity but natural gas such as fosil fuel imported from the Middle East. They were often curious why we do not use hydro-power or solar-power as one of electricity generators in our island. I never think much of this as a Singaporean but my travelling days in Taiwan and Japan has made me ponder deeper into this.

Kuma-san also mentioned something which strikes me. I was expressing my initial experience WWOOFing in Japan in the beginning of my journey her. My difficulties in understanding the real Japanese. When I free myself of the apprehension and prior sharings from other WWOOFers I met who share that they never will totally understand what's the Japanese are really thinking, I find buidling deep friendship with them not that difficult. I believe, with sincerity and trust, friendships can be build beyong all barriers.

Kuma-san explained that Japan has very rich and deep culture. Among Japanese, they have this mentality that they need not speak about their thoughts but in their own ways, understand what each other is thinking. I find this a very profound and fascinating explanation of their way of thoughts.

The last 2 nights at Asaba Art Square are filled with dinners with friends of Asaba-sensei. There was an intimate small dinner gathering in the gallery, with invited parents and Depak-san, a Nepalese artist prepared and cooked for the guests. He is a close friend of Asaba-sensei and Kuma-san. Depak sensei speaks Japanese and teaches Culture Education in elementary schools here. He and his family are generations of mandela artists for the royal family in Nepal. I never expected myself to be having Nepalese food, cooked with secret mysterious spices which Depak-san says its family secret, by a Nepalese artist, right here in Japan. What a treat!

Depak-san, a Nepalese Mandala Artist and close friends to Asaba-sensei and Kuma-san, preparing chai and giving a thank-you speech to the small group of invited guests

The next evening, we are invited to Maki-san's home for dinner. She is such a great cook!
 

 The next evening, we are invited to a family dinner to one of the parents and I have the privilege to again savour delicious dishes prepared by the parent, Maki-san.

On another night, Asaba-sensei brought the 3 of us to Yokohama to watch the multi-media art by a Japanese artist on the red walls on the REDBrick Warehouse along the coast. Couldnt remember the name of the artist, who had done spectacular art projection on some famous sites around the world.

 
Multi-media art projection on the Redbrick Warehouse in Yokohama, near the coast. It was nice to be back here again, with Asaba-sensei, Ana, Asling and a carpenter-artist friend of Asaba-sensei. Forgetful me, I forgot his name but remember him as a very talented tree-house builder.


Impressive artwork projected on the red walls, as a changing background to the drummer's beat
 
Late supper at a Chinese restaurant near the Chinatown in Yokohama after the multi-media art


 
Kuma-san and Asaba-sensei welcome me back if I would to return to Japan. I wrote 2 cards of the artwork by the students from my school in Singapore, Pathlight School. I will cherish the free-spirited and bohemian ambience in Asaba Art Square and the interesting people I have met here.

After Asaba-sensei gave me a lift to the train station and bidding a temporary farewell with her, I took the JR train with 2 changes of lines to meet my last host in an organic farm of Gunma, in Kanto region. Gone is the feeling of some anxiety before meeting my hosts. For the pass 2 and half months in Japan, I have been lucky to be with hosts who are keen in cultural exchanges with WWOOFers rather than seeing us as workers.

I have never expected my next hosts to be such an inspiring couple for me in Japan...

 



2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a marvellous place with great energy! It feels like I am just there as well. thank you for sharing Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking time to read my blog... Asaba Art Square will be a place I see you fitting in well. Miss you Shin!

    ReplyDelete