Thursday 28 February 2013

Scenic HuaLian . . . and a fellow Singaporean

After almost a week in Taipei, I travelled to the eastern coast of Taiwan, HuaLian.

It is about 3hours train ride. The TRA train of Taiwan is quite on time and clean. I often relish travelling time, on the train and buses especially. I feel like a traveller...with my backpack, sometimes, with my shoes off, legs folded up as it carries me to another new destination.

I am not afraid of long journeys. In Iran, I travelled 12 houurs by bus from Shariz (southern) to the capital, Teheran. I remembered a British backpacker frowned when he learned of me taking a bus instead of flying. He advised to pay a bit more for comfort. To me, a real traveller travels by land or sea if possible... only then one can see more, take in more views, encounter interesting chances with the locals. Travel like the locals do...Not many locals in the countries I have travelled can afford domestic flights. That is always my conviction in my travelling. Many times, I encountered real interesting events, such as bus broke down, some passengers acted up, some just shrugged and remain calm; babies crying in the night and passengers trying to soothe the baby... small talks with the locals, being offered oranges or other fruits and sweets by the locals... all these little encounters happened in the many long bus or train rides.
Train ride to Hualian
Train ride to Hualian

Upon arriving in HuaLian, the first thought was, ’So few people...’

HuaLian is well known for its Eastern Coast facing the Pacific Ocean and on the other side, lined with magnificent mountains. She is also well known of the Taroko Gorge.

The first day here, I spent time wandering around the streets, getting lost, asking directions (as usual for the blur queen) wanting so much to go to the coast. I walked a longer way and chanced upon a quiet lane. I saw a man cutting bamboos and drilling one bamboo at a time onto the side of his noodle house. I stopped by and chatted with him. He went up to the mountains, cut some bamboos and brought them home to change the old bamboos at the side of his house. He even showed me how he prepared the bamboos so that I can take pictures. I enjoy seeing ingenious work. 
the man and his tool
the quaint noodle house along the quiet lane
I continued after wishing him good luck and kept walking till I saw the ocean.
Empowering waves ...

Calm water at the other end


Often times, I felt emotional when near the sea, more so when faced with the ocean’s gigantic and empowering waves.I sat at the beach till night falls. The moon was out that night and makes me feel really at peace. On the way back, I realise it is already quite dark and I came back to the noodle house again. I saw the wife and ordered a bowl of noodle soup. At only NT45, it is simply one of the best noodle so far. No MSG, real authentic herbs and some beef. The wife is amiable and when the man returned, chatted with me a little more. It is a quaint little shop. I will post the picture another time as they are in my handphone.

My internet time with the internet cafe is running out...

But I have to share about today, my last day in HuaLien. I took a bus all the way out to ShiTiPing, Southern of Hualian (2 hours ride) When I alighted, I was welcomed with a vast padi field just facing the sea.

the padi farm at the coast of ShiTi Ping


the mushroom made of stone and wood...this padi farm owner is different

the Tin-Man overlooking the farm * some character this padi field
A young man was pushing a metal wheel into the padi area, waved and greeted hi. When he learned I was from Singapore, he was excited, claiming there’s another volunteer from Singapore working in this farm...

I followed him, while he rolled and pushed the metal wheel onto the field. I met this Singaporean lady, Janelle. She is on a 4-mth cycling trip on her own in Taiwan. She has been cycling here for 1 month. She carries a cause, to spread NO Violence message to the people she meet in Taiwan. She is WWOOFing in this padi farm as it is along her planned cycling path. She also suggested I can volunteer to teach at the many aboroginal villages in Taiwan. They need teachers. ~_~ We talked a little about WWOOF and herself. She took 4mths unpaid leave, 100 days before her birthday. The last day of her journey will be her birthday. I respect Janelle’s guts and heart. We wished each other the very best. I felt so happy that I will be okay not going to the sea at all.

I met the owner of the farm, red-faced, with a cap, very smart farmer looking. He was welcoming and I managed to snap some pictures before I go. 

This encounter makes me look forward to my comming WWOOF with the farm in PingTung, Taiwan and the 3mths in Japan. Janelle’s hope for her trip to spread the message of non-violence inspired me. I saw her bike in the organic cafe nearby, where the WWOOFers in this farm stay too. On the bike is a flag promoting non-violence in the world under ’Hope Garden’.
ShiTiPing * the young man who greeted and waved to me, brought me to meet my fellow Singaporean traveller
Janelle, the Singaporean lady who i WWOOFing in this farm. She is one brave and inspiring woman, cycling on her bike alone, in Taiwan spreading the message of non-violence
working hard at the farm

janelle's bike and the non-violence message she is spreading under Garden of Hope
 exploring ShiTiPing on foot * walked into a cemetry unknowingly
always find cemetry a very tranquil & peaceful place
one walks on it with some respect...

barber shop , but closed
lalang * lovely sway
ShiTiPing, a place of mountains and the sea
harbour

1 comment:

  1. The Noodle House looks serene on its own. Something like in a movie... hahaha... Nice pictures Irene...

    ReplyDelete