Thursday 28 February 2013

Light a wish...

24th February is the 15th Lunar day of our Chinese New Year.

In Taiwan, it is marked with lighting up Kong Ming Teng, with wishes written on all sides of the lantern, light it and send it up to the sky. The wishes are supposedly sent to the sky to reach heavens so that they can be heard...

I took a train from Taipei Train Station and arrived in ShiFen, in PingXi. PingXi is about an hour and a half hour away from Taipei city. The rail along the different small stations in Ping Xi has their own characteristics. ShiFen is the little old town that Taiwanese go to have their lanterns relased all together. This will only occur at 6.30pm in the evening. When I reached ShiFen, there was already a dragon queue of Taiwanese waiting to get a number and a free lantern so as to enter the big activity space in the evening for the mass release.


Many other Taiwanese however prefers to just purchase the lantern at the stalls in ShiFen and have them written, lighted and released almost anywhere possible. I bought a purple one (most cost 100 NT about S$4.50) from a shop at a corner. I was very engrossed in penning my wishes with the chinese brush, wishing for myself to have a safe trip, for my mum and all my siblings, nieces and nephews to be healthy, peaceful at home and that the young ones will do well in the studies and the even younger ones to grow up fine.

Then for all friends, to have their dreams comes true. Peace and happiness to everyone..

I enjoyed the process of writing with the chinese brush, my wishes... while the lady boss of the shop started a heated argument with another man about the space outside the stall... I continued to write with a smile in my heart. The 2 men in the shop are not too professional in having my picture taken before I put up my lantern. They did not even offer to take picture or take time to turn the lantern so that all wishes can be taken. 
They seem to be in a hurry... So my lantern was lighted and went up to the sky... up ..up...someone cheered for me...then voommm... it got caught onto the wire because of a strong wind and burned. Right in front of my eyes...Thank goodness no body is hurt.

I was a little affected...and kept walking through the narrow road lined with food stalls till I reached the shops along the railway track. ShiFen has its beauty here, the shops are lined along the track on both sides. Whenever the train is coming, someone will shout and everyone will scatter away from the track to the side and watch the train pass by, smiled and just admiring the grand old lady.

I saw many more shops selling lantern. More professionally run. The mood is gay and light. Taiwanese with their family, young and trendy Taiwanses with their friends...all have their wishes written and with the help of the staff, had their pictures taken on the track, then lited and let go.... All of those lanterns here went up smoothly. I was thrilled...smiling again. ~_~ What strikes me about the Taiwanese here, they are not rowdy people even though it’s a festive season. People will cheer, Ban!’or ’Gong Xi’when a lantern went up smoothly. All wishes well for everyone. I soaked up the positive mood and got myself liftened up again. 

My wishes will definitely be heard because I wish them with all my heart. That’s really what matters.












 



Yes! May your wishes come true!


I hopped on the train and went to the other small towns of PingXi before returning to ShiFen to witness the mass release of TianTeng (lanterns).

A big crowd has gathered at the mass area.It was still not too noisy. I am just amazed by Taiwanese, keeping calm most of the time. Stood for almost an hour before the lights were all off, the hosts started introducing the event, some drum performances later, and the moment came. I was standing at the feet of other professional photographers, elevated on ladders and stools. There were about 2000 TianTeng this year for the mass release. That very moment when they all went up, I almost teared... All these lanterns carrying wishes from all individuals, simple wishes, silly wishes, sincere wishes... they all must have mean a lot to everyone... At such time, I wish my family or friends were there with me.



The return to Taipei City was a journey of crushing with the crowd, into the train, standing throughout the ride...it took me almost 3 hours to reach Taipei. I was exhausted but was happy for the whole experience.











 





















2 comments:

  1. Ah.. the famed lanterns! Thot I saw one near my house that same day.. was looking out of the window in the evening, and saw a bulb of light floating across the other side of CTE between 2 HDB blocks! At first, thot it was a plane? UFO? but it really looks like those lanterns! wonder who lighted it and whether anyone will get fined for doing that! Still, hope the dreams will come true, just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... So nice the event... You are indeed lucky to witness it...

    ReplyDelete