Sunday 10 March 2013

From internet to reality... WWOOFing in Taiwan

5th March is my day to my first experience to WWOOF in an organic farm.
The two months of dwelling in the internet reading, signing up, contacting and liasising with the hosts in Taiwan and Japan, welfare and social organisations in Pakistan and Palestine...it is now materialising.

In the bus from Taipei to PingTung (Southern Taiwan), I plugged on my earphone and listened to the music in my MP3. My first time, listening to my MP3 during my stay in Taiwan. 

Read the book I brought from Singapore, 'Journey is Destination' 無期途行 by Xiao Jian Zhong. He is a Malaysian who worked in Singapore's Film & TV production company, 360. He graduated from a university in Taiwan majoring in filming. The author's challenges are way beyond my experience. He cycled from Singapore to London, 12 countries in 532 days. I share some of his sentiments .... especially his sentiments before leaving his family and friends. Most of the authors of some travellogue wrote about their sleepless night before embarking on their year-trip or long solo travelling because of excitement. I thought I was one of those odd ones who feel emotional leaving  my family and friends. In particularly so, causing much worry to my mother, nonetheless. She always support my decision despite her own concerns. This, too was shared by Xiao Jian Zhong. 


Journey is Destination' 無期途行 by Xiao Jian Zhong


Bus Journey * Beautiful fish farms along the way, near the coast

Arrived in Ping Tung train station and Vincent, the owner of Siang Yuan Organic Farm came and picked me to his house. Along the way, Vincent started sharing a little about himself and shared how to distinguish the rows of ping-lang trees and coconut trees. Taiwan has lots of ping-lang trees and a favourite snack among many man. A coconut tree is obviously taller and its leaves are longer and fuller.

Finally, after days of anticipation, I stood at the doorway of the farm. Vincent, articulate and friendly, introduced me to another WWOOFer, Li Juan and her 15 year old daughter Irene.This was a pleasant surprise and honestly, I was glad.

All my life, I am concerned about how people will accept the taciturn side of me. WWOOFing in this organic farm with Vincent and his wife, Sally, I felt right at home instead. Li Juan and Irene are just as amiable.

They made me felt welcomed immediately, Sally passing me the bedsheets, sleeping bag and blanket. As I will be sharing the room with Li Juan and Irene, I decided to use the mattress on the floor. I sleep with the mattress on the floor back in Singapore and it has always been my preference. Li Juan is Taiwanese but had been staying in New Zealand for more than ten years. Mother and daughter will be settling in Germany in a few months time. They busied themselves with pulling out the foldable mattress, covering it with the bedsheet, making sure I got the basics met.

Like an animal searching for its territory and settling in it, I too tend to have this instinct, locating my sleeping area, unpacking some of the daily neccessitites.

Interestingly, my Chinese name is Su Juan as how I use it to liase with Vincent on the internet. Very close to Li Juan. And her daughter is Irene, which is the name I use back in Singapore. When both Irene and I looked up when Sally called, 'Irene, ...', they decided to call me Da 'I' and the teenage Irene Xiao 'I'. ~_<

By 2.30pm, I was off to the farm, following Li Juan's guidance, put on a nice pair of magenta rubber boots, gloves and a hand sickle and started cutting the thick bushy weeds growing around the cabbages. 


My essentials * rubber boots, gloves and a hand sickle

Corn seedlings * Li Juan and Xiao 'I' planted different seedlings a week ago, before I came... They are growing nicely

Opening a metal door behind the house and this is what I am greeted with...



For the next one hour, I tried my best but still felt the progress too slow. I was still at almost the same spot. Vincent patiently came forward and demonstrated and did it in such a quick sturdy swift! 

"Dig into the soil, slice and pull, hear the zi zi zi sound of slicing.... there you go..."
Great, so this is how it should be. I tried again to imitate and found myself moving from the original spot. Weeding is not as easy as we have to dig into the soil and slice off the roots of the weeds. Most have long roots either messily coiled up with other weeds or have roots firmly implanted. Weeds are obstinate and stubborn plants. Roots have to be removed or they will grow again very speedily.

The surrounding was serene, with chirping of the birds, occasional invasion from Lucky the hyperly-excited dog and the zi zi zi sound of the sickle slicing off the weeds. Jiao Chan the farm cat with caramel coloured fur, strolled lazily to where we were working and laid herself comforatably among the weeds. 

It became quite therapeutic after a while. The sun was shining but gently on us and it was really quite a bliss. Work can be a bliss if our hearts and minds are enjoying the process of it.


Day 1 * weeding, weeding, weeding
This is Irene & Irene, Da 'I'  Xiao 'I'


Su Juan (that's me) & Li Juan, and of course Jiao Chang, the aloof cat

I still looked raw and fresh as a 'farmer' here

At about 5.30pm, the gongs on the bell in the Chinese temple nearby travelled with the cooling breeze. 'That's our bell for finishing work.' Vincent said with a smile.

Walking back to the house, Li Juan brought me to the land infront, planted with tomatoes and some lemon grass. She plucked a lemon grass for me and I tied it into a knot and placed it at my pillow. Lovely and refreshing fragrance which can help prevent mosquitoes.

My first dinner with them is filled with lively conversations and laughters among each other. I am naturally a quiet person and most of the time, I listened to others and soak in the positive and lively vibes amongst these nice people. After a while, as I warmed up to them, it got better and the whole dinner affair was a very homely one. Sally is one great cook, resourcefully looked for different recipes and prepares tantalising meals for us. It is not difficult to understand why all the WWOOFers commented so well on her cooking in the guestbook.

I couldn't believe how comfortable I settled in here, with the work, with the people and with the daily routine. It deepens my conviction that the people that surround you make an  impressionable impact no matter where you are. When surrounded with the richness of Mother Nature, one's innate good nature is compelled to shine.



10 comments:

  1. Thank you for writting down these bits and pieces for recording the wonderful and precious time we spend together. I truly appreciate it
    espcially after we moved toward different directions on earth.
    Lichuan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LiChuan, it seems like just a few days ago being in the farm. I wa truly happy there, looking forward to step into it every day. I do miss the WWOOFing days at 详园...

      Delete
  2. Hi Irenelle,

    I am also from Singapore, saw your post on Siang Yuan organic farm. Is it possible to volunteer with them without going through WWOOF?

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi michelle, I am not too sure if Vincent, my host in taiwan will be fine with it. WWOOF has some regulations for hosts n wwoofers to ensure accountibility, safety n amiable relationship for both parties. Please email me: irenelle@yahoo.com. thanks for visiting my blog. ~_~

      Delete
  3. Hi Irene. I chanced upon your blog while researching about WWOOFing in Asia. Like you, I'm Singaporean, in early 40s, live for travel, many times solo - I relish the freedom and contemplative joy solo travel accords. It's v unusual for me but I just want to drop a note to say hi. Reading your blog makes me smile. I wish you safe journeys and experience of a lifetime. Stay foolish!

    Here's a quote from one of my fave writer, Pico Iyer
    “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace for the sharing.... Very encouraging words...I am now in China, a country which I've mixed feelings with. Still, it's quite an experience. Your sharing spurs me on, especially from a stranger who shares the common love of travelling...thank you.

      I wish you all the best in your adventure in WWOOFing. My days in Japan are so rich and valuable because of WWOOF. Take care!

      Delete
  4. Hi Irene,

    May I know what type of visa do I need to apply in order to be able to wwoofing in Taiwan? Thanks.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne
      Thanks for your time.
      As a Singaporean, we have 15 days free visa in Taiwan.
      To stay for longer period, you can apply for tourist visa at the Taiwan embassy in Singapore.
      WWOOFing is NOT working for money. So you need not apply for working visa.
      A tourist visa will do. Hope it helps. ~_~

      Delete
  5. Hi Irene,
    I noticed that you got in touch with this farm through WWOOF. I went to their website and paid the $800NT fee but I never got any list of farm contacts or anything at all. The phone number is disconnected and they don't answer their emails. Could you put me in touch with some farmers? I have experience in farming in the USA and I have an ARC and health insurance. Thanks!
    Avl229@nyu.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Thanks for spending time on my blog. WWOOF Taiwan took a few days before they sent the list of contacts after my registration. Try emailing them again at info@wwooftaiwan.com.
      In Taiwan, I WWOOFed in only Xiang Yuan. As mentioned, due to some confidentiality and safety reasons, the host has mentioned he prefers a registered WWOOFer. It was the same with my Japanese hosts. I would like to respect that.

      Do email me at irenelle@yahoo.com with your personal email.
      Take care!

      Delete