Wednesday 27 March 2013

The unexpected in Japan

Arrived in Japan yesterday morning, at Kansai International Airport to change flight to Fukuoka in the evening. Finally, stepping on this land which I have longed to come but never thought it would be possible.

Saw some large men in traditional Japanese clothings and cloaks and realised they are Sumo Wrestlers. They are very well respected figures in Japan. I was like a little girl, joining in some foreigners and took a picture of them from the escalator, a distance away. What a nice opening to my journey in Japan, I thought to myself.


Till I almost wanted to take a mobile rental plan with SoftBank, an established cell phone and sim card rental at the airport.  I could not buy a SIM card as my phone is not compatible, nor could I rent a mobile phone with a standard phone plan. The reason is, they accept only credit card payment. I have only debit cards and cash to pay. But no can do. It is also quite expensive in renting a phone, on top of paying the phone-calling plan per minute.

So, I decide to be in Japan just with my Singapore mobile number. The only down side for me is not being able to Tango or Whats App so spontaneuously with my family and friends anymore.
In Japan, WIFI is rare as 99 percent of Japanese have internet on their cell phone. Then again, technology is so well advanced one can always find alternatives.

Skype on internet on a pc will be one way to stay in touch with my family.

It takes a while for me to adjust to the fact that I will not be able to chat as much with my family and friends anymore. Thats the reliance on technology, I realise. I had never done this before in all my short travel alone...using whats app. So, I should be able to get use to soon. Its just a change of mentality to talk to my loved ones by writing postcards or emailing if there is an internet on a pc.

Finally boarded the 6pm flight from Kansai to Fukuoka. This is where I had my second unexpected situation. My lugguage did not appear on the conveyer belt after much waiting. A japanese airport staff came forward and tried her best to asked about how my luggage look like. She then contacted the staff of JetStar. Soon, a JetStar staff came, asked for my boarding pass and begins my long wait at the airport for them to track the trail of my luggage.

I remembered thinking to myself, This is the first time my luggage got lost along the way. I have travelled in third world and less developed countries, with long transit hours and I always have my luggage arrived safely.

It is in this developed and highly-tech country of Japan that my luggage got lost.
What astounded me more is that the staff are not sure of the procedure in handling lost luggage. They kept telling me to wait for 5mins for the staff in Kansai to track my luggage. When I asked how would the airline handle it if they found my luggage, they are not sure and assured they will check with the head office. That answer press the red button. I spoke to them firmly trying to suppress my harshness, instructing them the airline should sent me my luggage as soon as they located and recieved my luggage in Fukuoka, at their own cost. I asked if they would pay any compensation, which they lady then apologetically speaks more confidently in English than before.
She assured they will give an allowance of about 4000yen for me to buy any toiletries and clothings. Her name is Mika.

In the midst of this, her collegue came and informed us my luggage has been flown to Sapporo, Hokkaido by mistake. That's all the way in the North of Japan and Fukuoka is in South end of Japan.

It was a relief that they found the luggage. I gave Mika my Fukuoka guesthouse address and contact, and my fist WWOOF host's address in Oita prefecture, should the luggage arrived only in a few more days. She was more assuring this time, making a copy of my guesthouse and WWOOF host address written in Japanese and promised to call my guesthouse as soon as luggage is found. She keeps apologising throughout my
I managed to contact my guesthouse through email about my situation and I would be late.

As I travelled in the subway from the airport to Kaine Guesthouse, it began to dawn on me that it is really the inhibition the Japanese held in speaking Japanese that make them seem not that helpful initially. 

Kaine Guesthouse is a place which I found much warm and assurance. The staff were really friendly and warm. It is a very small but cosy guesthouse located behind a noodle shop, literally. They were ampathetic towards what happened but I told them 'Shinbai-nai!', not to worry. Night in Fukuoka was quite chilly as I walked to look for convenience shops to get a toothbrush and toothpaste. There was a group of working Japanese in suits who exited from a Japanese noodle and sake shop, some bowing to each other and parting ways. Exactly like what I often watched in the Japanese drama. 

Back in the guesthouse, it was already 9ish and I stayed in the common area and talked more with the 2 staff. Some other guests returned, 3 japanese young undergraduate who are having their spring vocation, a young German girl who's an exchange student here and later another 3 Hong Kongers who joined in. It was such a comfortable moment with all of them, eveyone showing interest to know each other, chatting with some struggles to find the right words... though I was tired, I wanted to stay in their company. We talked, joked and shared till pass midnight. I may not see some the next day as they would have left for another place in Fukuoka. 

I felt a sense of hope at that time, that things will not get as bad as how it looks. 

So, this afternoon at 2.30pm, 28th March, as I was entering my blog, my luggage arrived.
The JetStar staff came with another middle-aged man in full suit holding my backpack with both hands and presented it to me like a gift, giving me a full 90degree bow. I could not remember how many times they both apologised and bowed. I just keep thanking them for delivering my luggage back efficiently. 

I have more to understand and know about the Japanese... and their way of doing things... and I am very very keen to... I am glad I am going to be here for 3 months to immerse in their lifestyle and outlook of life.

6 comments:

  1. losing luggage always causes such anxiety... mine was on a different, albeit later flight to the same place i was heading in Nice, France, and the staff was so nonchalant about it, as if it's just another lost bag, so what?! asked if i needed a (complimentary) toiletries bag which i said but of course! had to wait in hotel, watching the planes taking off/touching down, and getting news then that the afghanistan war was starting.. thank goodness the bag came later... despite the drama, i didn't overcome being jetlagged - what a trip!

    and thank goodness you got your bag back too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have friends who can relate to it. Annchi, thanks! Travelling can have moments of odds too ~_~

      Delete
  2. Hope all go well in Japan for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did u get yr 4000¥ compensation?! Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha... no because I only spent on getting a toothbrush that night. They compensate to a max of4000yen for buying set of clothings, toiletries etc.. with receipt.
    Not been able to share on my blog cos I can do thst only on pc...much thoughts in my 2 weeks in japan thus far.

    ReplyDelete